Research Intern (Summer 2023)
Bactana Corp: Research Intern 2023
(Complete form & upload your resume below)
UCONN Health Cell & Genome Science Building in Farmington, CT (TIP)
About Bactana Corp (www.bactana.com).
Bactana is a socially impactful company formed as a collaboration between Cornell University and a successful life science entrepreneur. We have patented the use of a select group of microbes that manipulate the microbial ecology of animals to enhance the interaction of the microbiome, immune system, and metabolism (immunometabolism). We are creating therapies for pets to treat metabolic conditions and digestive disorders, while also developing sustainable products for use in livestock production that reduce natural resource utilization, greenhouse gas emissions, and antibiotic usage.
We are seeking a Research Intern to become an important part of Bactana’s team and help further our research and development goals. This Research Intern will help characterize postbiotics expressed from anaerobic microbes and support our senior researchers in a variety of other tasks. We operate out of a 1,000 square foot laboratory located within the University of Connecticut Cell & Genome Sciences Building in Farmington, CT (also referred to as TIP).
What you’ll be doing:
- Cell banking, fermentation, and optimization through media development and growth condition screening.
- Interpreting results and presenting/discussing with the Bactana team and external collaborators.
- Culturing and characterizing anaerobic bacteria and derived postbiotics.
- Carrying out cell-based assays and other in vitro experiments to further elucidate the mechanism of Bactana’s lead products.
- If interested, you’ll have the opportunity to assist with mouse trials to validate and test current and new potential therapies.
- Participating in formulation development, including lyophilization.
- Developing and following SOPs that are in line with GMP practices.
- Maintaining proper record keeping practices.
- Delivering innovative solutions, fostering continuous process improvement, scale-up and implementing new initiatives, drive cost-savings, and maintain exceptional work quality.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or near completion).
- Willingness to work in a dynamic environment as part of a small where your individual contributions will have a large impact on Bactana's business objectives.
- Being well organized and able to effectively document experimental details to facilitate process improvement.
- Experience maintaining lab supplies and equipment.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture is highly desirable.
Terms of Employment & Compensation:
This internship is a full-time position from mid-May to end of August 2023 (we have flexibility with these dates). There is potential for permanent full-time hire after the internship is completed. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and live in the Farmington, CT area.