Principal Electronics Engineer
Principal Electronics Engineer
Flintshire, GB, CH5 2NS
Triumph Group designs, engineers, manufactures, repairs and overhauls a broad portfolio of aviation and industrial components, accessories, subassemblies, systems and aircraft structures. We partner with original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and operators of commercial, regional, business and military aircraft worldwide, to provide products and services that solve their hardest problems. So whatever the part, component or complexity of assembly, Triumph is committed to quality, service and meeting the specialized needs of each customer.
Triumph participates at all levels of the aerospace supply chain – from single components, to complex systems, to aerospace structures and their contents. We provide solutions for the entire product life cycle of an aircraft – from raw material to aftermarket service. Our unique ability to integrate a broad range of products and capabilities is our competitive advantage.
Principal Electronics Engineer
Triumph Actuation Products and Services UK design, develop and manufacture a product range including make-to-print electronics, digital electronic motor controllers and full electro-mechanical actuators for aerospace applications.
The Principal Electronics Engineer will be the most senior electronic engineer within the business and will be responsible for all technical aspects of our product range with regards to electronics and software. This leadership responsibility spans design, development, manufacturing operations and in-service performance.
To give an indication of the range of responsibility the following scenarios are described:
Scenario A: Product fails in service or in the production environment. Root cause investigation, corrective action and feedback to the customer required. This role to lead and/or oversee the work needed to complete the necessary assessments and determine root cause and necessary resolutions.
Scenario B: NPD of a new electro-mechanical actuator. This role to lead/supervise the development of at least the electronic, electrical and s/w aspects of the product to meet quality, cost, schedule objectives. The design environment is team based and hence collaboration and teamwork is essential.
Scenario C: Responding to RFI/RFP requests from customers. This role to lead/supervise the technical input to such work and support cost estimating and development schedule creation. The design environment is team based and hence collaboration and teamwork is essential.
Scenario D: Take a leading role in contributing to the EMA product strategy. Requires awareness of market trends, customer needs and an ability to simplify and devise practical, coherent strategies to facilitate market success.
Scenario E: Selection and recruitment of talent. Requires the skills to lead with deep technical domain knowledge and the personal skills to facilitate followship.
This role will suit a person who wants active and participative leadership at both the technical and people level. A person who wants to actively build a team and who enjoys driving growth of both people and the business. It is a hands-on role.
Requirements of the role:
• Provide engineering leadership to the electronics team. Responsibility, accountability for quality, cost and schedule.
• Implement appropriate design and development processes, Do254, Do178.
• Implement appropriate design and development tool set.
• Mentorship and technical oversight of the team. Quality and technical domain knowledge.
• Leadership and oversight of failure investigations, root cause, 8D, A3 methods.
• Leadership of NPD activities for electronics and software.
• Leadership of RFI and RFP activities for electronics and software.
• Talent selection and recruitment.
• Build an internal and external network to support the business needs in electronics and software. Flexibility of approach is necessary.
• Drive continuous improvement initiatives within the function and team.
• Completion of any work-related tasks, which would be deemed reasonable of this leadership role.
General Requirements of the individual:
• Integrity: doing the right thing for our stakeholders, valuing safety, honour and respect to all.
• Continuous Improvement champion: pursues zero defect quality, attacks problems and relentlessly looks to raise the bar.
• Teamwork: seeks opportunities to win as one team – one company. Unafraid to solicit help from others in pursuing team wins.
• Innovative: demonstrates passion for growing the business and solving problems through ingenuity.
• Acts with velocity: partners, communicates and anticipates challenges before they become issues. Actively manages and mitigates risk.
Specific Requirements of the individual:
• Degree qualified or demonstrable equivalent experience.
• At least 5 years aerospace/defence experience in design and development of complex electronics, software and actuation control systems.
• Ideally experience in electro-mechanical actuation products.
• Collaborative, team player.
• Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Demonstrated effective oral and written communication.
• UK driving licence holder.
• Able and willing to travel domestically and internationally.
• Based in Deeside.
• Travel to and working at other Triumph and Customer locations worldwide maybe required.
• Hours of Employment: 37 hours a week; flexibility will be required.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.
Please be aware that the Company requires all employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19. This position will require the successful candidate to obtain OR show proof of a vaccination. The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide reasonable accommodation to those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Please contact us if you require assistance in applying for Triumph Group and we will provide reasonable accommodations via HRDepartment@triumphgroup.com. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here .