Senior Battery Management System Design Engineer
Cadenza Innovation, Inc. is currently seeking an experienced Battery management system design Engineer for a Senior level position leading projects and guiding other scientists, engineers, and technical staff in support of lithium-ion battery innovation, design, and productization for high & low voltage applications.
Cadenza Innovation, Inc. was founded by Dr. Christina Lampe-Onnerud, a successful inventor and CEO, along with an experienced leadership team who together have a track record of creating ground-breaking technologies and building teams to serve global markets.
Reporting into the Engineering Manager and based at our state-of-the-art facility located at the Summit Center in Danbury, CT, this role requires both mid-level leadership and hands-on activity. You will be challenged technically and creatively, with a highly visible opportunity to work across several business disciplines and alongside the executive leadership team.
This is an excellent opportunity to make contributions in an environmentally impactful enterprise, and to get in on the ground floor, with an innovative and exciting company poised for success!
- Lead design and testing of lithium-ion cells and batteries using the high & low voltage battery management systems (BMS) system.
- Support design, development, testing, and application of BMS for high & low voltage BMS systems and lead the design, implementation, and testing of cutting-edge algorithms for run-time BMS logic.
- Responsible for architecting, designing, and implementing BMS control algorithm.
- Ensure the reliability and robustness of the BMS control as well as the customer experience.
- Work with various cross-functional teams, lead the development of SW requirements for new BMS features, diagnostics, algorithms, etc.
- Support commercialization efforts transitioning technology and products into manufacturing.
- Support design, development, testing, and application for the micro grid controller that coordinates between micro grid components like generator, solar, BESS etc.
- Support integration of lithium-ion battery products into energy storage systems targeted for specific market applications, especially including utility/grid energy storage.
- Coordinate and design different communication protocols like Modbus/Can bus & mod poll to read the Modbus data.
- Capable of developing or guiding the team for State-of-Charge, State-of-Health, State-of-Power, and State-of-Energy computation algorithms.
- Develop and enhance existing battery models.
- Develop complex battery aging model(s).
- Develop safety critical BMS control functions such as battery state estimation, fault detection, balancing control, temperature management, battery contactor control, and charging control.
- Perform FMEA for BMS control software and hardware.
- This role requires coordination of efforts between mechanical design, thermal design, electrical design, harness design, BMS, and software team members.
- Lead and/or participate in technical design reviews with customers as BMS subject matter expert (SME).
- Track Open Issues, communicate issues to all groups, and set up meetings as required to close all issues; escalate major issues immediately to leadership.
- Plan and execute assembly and component timing alignment with overall program timing and mitigate strategies as appropriate to resolve conflicts and deliver projects on time.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and lead team members through delivery.
- A team player with strong communication and report writing skills.
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering or the equivalent in experience with evidence of exceptional ability.
- 4 – 5 years of experience in BMS controls including design, implementation, and testing BMS features, diagnostics and control functions and software development.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience taking BMS technologies from conception through launch utilizing disciplined product management techniques such as NPI – stage gate.
- Solid knowledge in control theory related to BMS & Micro grid controller & Inverter system.
- Knowledge of CAN, LIN, and Ethernet protocols as well as HVIL systems.
- Experience with model-based control development using MATLAB/Simulink.
- Experience leading direct and cross functional teams effectively.
- Direct experience with high & low voltage DC systems.
- Thorough understanding of battery management requirements, functionality, and working principles.
- Customer orientation displaying commitment to on time, on budget delivery and a service minded approach to both internal and external customers.
Cadenza Innovation, Inc. is an energy storage company answering the call for safer, longer-lasting lithium-ion batteries. With our Management Team of recognized authorities in the battery industry, we have dramatically improved quality and safety while delivering performance levels never previously seen in the industry. Our focus is to commercialize these innovative technologies and drive improvements that enable the success of lithium-ion batteries powering innovative, economical and environmentally sound products, in grid storage and mobile applications.
We offer an attractive compensation and benefits package, an entrepreneurial environment, and the opportunity for employees to enhance their careers and achieve greater levels of responsibility as the company grows. Please note that this job doesn’t offer a remote or hybrid option, and the candidate must be local and on site for this position.
Cadenza Innovation, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.