Engineering Project Manager
Engineering Project Manager
West Hartford, CT, US, 06110-1328
NPI Program Manager
Business Overview: Triumph Engine Control Systems is a leading independent aerospace fuel system supplier for the commercial, military, helicopter and business jet markets. Based in West Hartford, CT, Triumph employs approximately 500 employees. The Company’s key products and services include electronic engine controls, fuel metering units, main fuel pumps and environmental control systems, for both the OE and aftermarket / spares end markets.
Position Summary: The Program Manager is accountable for the planning, directing, and execution of programs, including full life cycle management of products per assigned Customer Accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Program manager is responsible for overall customer account management and serves in a critical customer-facing role; tasks and activities can include:
- Lead assigned cross-functional Integrated Program Team (IPT) including operations, engineering, test, quality, purchasing, and manufacturing to ensure proactive focus on program requirements, quality, deliveries, and customer satisfaction.
- Coordinate/lead multiple projects of med-high complexity and risk or projects with multiple sub-projects.
- Drive relevant project and project status communications; Monitor progress through project reviews.
- Execute, monitor and control the schedule, cost deliverables, risk management and scope to meet stakeholder expectations.
- Work with functional managers and department heads to allocate resources to the project team.
- Proactively manages for resource conflicts and constraints.
- Leverage the use of the Triumph Product Development process to support New Product Introductions.
- Operates across the enterprise to resolve elevated issues internally and with the customer, working to ensure removal of roadblocks to success.
- Coordinates with Business Development and Contracts Administration to act as the primary leads for customer contact, improving the customer relationship and working with them for additional and follow-on business.
- Presents and represents program status to customer and Triumph senior leadership.
- Participate in strategic planning/financial planning processes.
- Accountable for scope change management within the project. Responsible for orchestrating response to customer scope changes in collaboration with Business Development and the project team.
- Lead or support continuous improvement initiatives, including Kaizen events.
- Participate in and support new business development activities, including customer meetings, technology roadmaps, and proposals.
Desired Interpersonal Skills:
- Ability to lead a cross-functional team, providing guidance, support, and coaching to employees
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interface with an organization at all levels
- Demonstrated work ethic
- Ability to take the initiative to become involved in activities to help resolve problems and make improvements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Be able to negotiate face to face or with a group
- Understand and influence stakeholders – see the big picture
- Have a good understanding of risks to be taken or not
- Challenge preconceived ideas
- Excellent in building sustainable relationships
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Engineering or another technical field preferred.
- 7 years of related Program/Project management experience is required. Experience in an aerospace, defense or other engineering/manufacturing industry is preferred.
- Must have good command of project management methodologies (e.g. PMI-PMBOK or equivalent). PMP or equivalent certification is preferred.
- Demonstrates a commitment to Quality, specifically Six Sigma, Lean and continuous improvement philosophies.
- Proficiency with MS-Project program scheduling/resource allocation planning tools is essential.
- Strong business acumen coupled with aptitude and motivation to learn new functions and expand areas of expertise.
- Effective strategic, long-term and planning thought processes.
- Manage all major issues in primary practice areas with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable in giving presentations to senior leadership.
- Focused on customer needs, builds and maintains trust in relationship.
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally, as required.